Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tasting Notes: A Taste of Poetry at JavaMonkey

I attended last Thursday's Poetry Slam fund raising event at JavaMonkey. Several regular patrons wandered in during the evening, obviously confused that there was wine being poured for a tasting on an off Thursday. I enjoyed the poetry more than I thought I would and appreciated the chance to rediscover some of the wines from the JavaMonkey list.

The wines:

2008 Emperor de Barros Macabeo (Ribera del Guadiana, Spain):
Some vanilla on the nose and lovely apple and melon fruit. Hubby liked it, too.
Rating: Very Good

2007 Pure Evil Chardonnay (South Australia):
Finally, someone agrees with my perception of oaked Chards! Just kidding. It smells like oak, but it's light on the palate with more tropical fruit and enough oakiness to make it interesting, but not undrinkable.
Rating: Good

2008 Lucky Star Pinot Noir (California): 94% Pinot Noir, 6% Syrah
The name of this one makes me get the "Shooting Star" song stuck in my head (thank you, Rock Band). Very fruity nose with cherry cola and definite oak undertones on the palate.
Rating: Good to Very Good

2008 Stella Sangiovese (Puglia, Italy):
Nice, not heavy or too acidic but with nice cran-raspberry fruit.
Rating: Good to Very Good

2006 Codice Tempranillo (Vino de la Tierra de Castilla, Spain):
Starts out oaky, fruity, and yummy, but the finish is a little astringent.
Rating: Good to Very Good

2008 Maipe Cabernet Sauvignon (Mendoza, Argentina):
Super fruity! Nice finish, too.
Rating: Very Good

By the time I got to the last one, I was outside listening to the poetry, so I didn't write as much about them. That's also why my tweets dropped off after the Chard. For my thoughts on the poetry, click here to go to the article I wrote for Decatur News Online.

No comments: