Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Randomness: Wine-colored glasses

I had a few moments to relax when I got home from work today, so I picked up the paper and went immediately to the Living Section to catch up on the hijinks of Garfield, Cathy, and the like (I get my news from NPR). The Jumble, which is a word puzzle that's solved by unscrambling an entire group of letters into a word, happens to be on the same page as the comics, and I like to see how quickly I can solve them in my head. The third Jumble word was:

CAMBLE

Of course, being an oenophile, I saw:

MALBEC

Unfortunately, the right answer was actually BECALM, which I've never actually heard used.

This gave me a few moments' pause. Am I really so wine-obsessed that I'm seeing it everywhere? Do I need to check myself into rehab? I came to the conclusion that no, there's nothing wrong with me, I just see things according to my context, or my filter as psychologist Rick Blue, Ph.D., would say. The cognitive psychologist types probably have a nice, long fancy word for it.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to stop worrying about it and look forward to tomorrow's wine tasting at Java Monkey, where I'll go have some YRHSA.

1 comment:

Dan said...

You're having shyra? Isn't that some sort of Islamic system of law?

Oh wait...