Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Brutal Blends: Java Monkey Thursday Wine Series 6/12/08

Last Thursday's wine tasting was a first: everyone I talked to who had been there woke up in some discomfort. Poor Hubby had a touch of a stomach virus, so I'm not sure if he was truly hung over or not, but he was hurting along with the rest of us. At least he got out of going to work. I would like to add that I didn't drink any more than I usually do, which is to say, not to excess. Others didn't, either, with the exception of a few whose names I shall not mention.

What were the brutal wines?

1. 2006 Gramona Gessami (Penedes, Spain): This blend of Muscat d'Alexandria, Sauvignon Blanc, and Muscat Frontignan was an interesting blend, mildly sweet with an odd finish.
Rating: Good

2. 2007 Casamaro Blanco (Rueda, Spain): I don't know if it was the trauma the wine endured when Jess dropped the bottle, which miraculously didn't break, or the wine itself, but this was another strange wine. One taster said, "It does something weird to my tongue!" The floral, yeasty nose gave way to a chemical odor, and the palate followed suit. The blend was 90% Verdejo and 10% Viera.
Rating: No, thanks (I blame this one for everyone's difficulties the next day)

3. 2005 La Piece Sous le Bras (Languedoc-Roussillon, France): A nice blend of 90% Chardonnay, 5% Vioginer, and 5% Roussane, this wine was light and fruity with a bit of mineral to the finish.
Rating: Good

4. 2005 Rapitala Nuar (Sicily): 70% Nero d'Avola and 30% Pinot Noir, the nose had dark fruit and raisin, and it was fruity on the palate, but finished dry and slightly buttery.
Rating: Very Good

5. 2004 Costa del Sol (Napa Valley): How could a blend of sangiovese, zinfandel, cabernet sauvignon, and merlot not be good? This was Hubby's favorite of the night. It had an excellent nose and was well-balanced with fruit and acidity.
Rating: Excellent

6. 2006 Hahn Estates Meritage (Central Coast, CA): This wine "flummoxed" one of my drinking companions. It had a very nice nose, a little smoky, and a really good mix of dark fruit, jam, and a bit of earth. It was my favorite of the night, and it turned out to be a "kitchen sink" wine with Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, our friend from Virginia Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc, and Malbec.
Rating: Excellent

No, I don't have a logical reason for blaming #2 for everyone's difficulties the next day other than its chemical characteristics. Again, this was an odd tasting. Perhaps there was some magical property to the combination of wines. I'm open to suggestions/discussion.

No comments: