Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tasting Notes: "The Noble Grape: Pinot Noir," Sherlocks, 6-21-08

I had the fun of pouring for the free Saturday wine tasting at Cooks and Sherlocks in Decatur yesterday. It was crazy busy from start to finish. I guess people like Pinots.

2006 Big Fire Pinot Gris, Oregon: This was the afternoon's top seller. Even people (like Hubby) who turn their noses up at Pinot Grigios, the Italian name for this grape, liked it. A fruity nose gives way to a floral palate with apple and pear.
Rating: Very Good

2007 Castle Rock Pinot Noir, Monterey County: When I first tried this, the amount of spice reminded me of what I've always thought mulled wine would taste like. It's also all about some cherry.
Rating: Good

2006 Wine by Joe Pinot Noir, Oregon: Joe makes good wine. Blackberry nose and somewhat tannic for a Pinot Noir. Would be great with food. I liked it more after it had been open for a while.
Rating: Very Good

2006 Jovino Pinot Noir, Oregon: This is one of my favorites. It's made by the same winemaker as the previous selection and is so nicely balanced that a bottle had to come home with me.
Rating: Very Good

2005 Olivier Laflaive Bourgogne Rouge Cuvee Margot, France: A little drier than the previous wines and with a little bit of smoke.
Rating: Good to Very Good (after it opened)

2006 Barnett Vineyards Tina Maria Vineyard Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley: This was my favorite of the tasting, even before I saw the $45.99 price tag. Has cola and cinnamon notes, but also fruit and mineral. Several people noted that they'd put it up for a few years and let it mature. I doubt it would last that long at my house.
Rating: Very Good to Excellent

Bonus wine! The Pietra Santa rose is made from Sangiovese grapes and didn't really go with the rest of the tasting, but it's a great summer wine and was a nice finish to the flight. One of my complaints about roses is that they tend to try too hard not to be a sweet wine. This one is off-dry and fruity with a hint of mineral that keeps it from going overboard.

No comments: